machine hangs on occasion - correlated with ssh break-in attempts

Rink Springer rink at FreeBSD.org
Thu Aug 21 20:25:01 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 01:03:09PM -0700, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> Finally, consider moving to pf instead, if you really feel ipfw is
> what's causing your machine to crash.  You might be pleasantly surprised
> by the syntax, and overall administrative usability (it is significantly
> superior to ipfw, IMHO).

In fact, pf can already do this out-of-the-box, by doing something like:

table <sshlusers> persist
pass quick on $wan_if proto tcp from any to any port ssh flags S/SA keep
state \
     (max-src-conn 15, max-src-conn-rate 5/3, overload <sshlusers> flush
global)

If that is not an option, I have found that security/denyhosts works
pretty well too (it just adds IP's to /etc/hosts.deniedssh, and
host_access(5) denies them based on this)

Regards,

--
Rink P.W. Springer                                - http://rink.nu
"Anyway boys, this is America. Just because you get more votes doesn't