chkrootkit V. 0.47

Peter Pentchev roam at ringlet.net
Wed Nov 21 03:11:05 PST 2007

On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 07:01:20PM +0200, Nikolay Pavlov wrote:
> On Tuesday 20 November 2007 16:41:52 JP wrote:
> > Running freeBSD 6.1
> >
> > After changing chkrootkit to the latest version V. 0.47 and compiling it
> > then running it I get the following:
[snip]
> > Checking `bindshell'... INFECTED (PORTS:  6667)
[snip]

> > I do run an IRCd...
>
> Such tools is known to trigger false positives sometimes. I'd recommend to
> play with some additional utilities like lsof. In case of bindshell try to
> find processes that was executed from world writable directories such
> as /tmp. Try to shutdown httpd and other daemons and see if any of them
> still running.

The bindshell is most probably a false positive - chkrootkit just
checks if anything is listening on "unusual" ports.  Since 6667 is
one of the most often used well-known ports for IRC communication,
this is most probably a false positive.

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev	roam at ringlet.net    roam at cnsys.bg    roam at FreeBSD.org
You have, of course, just begun reading the sentence that you have just finished reading.