security weakness

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Wed Jun 6 15:30:47 UTC 2007

sam garcia <samgarcia.mac.com at mac.com> writes:
> Hello Remko: sorry to bother you again,after e mailing
> freebsd-security at FreeBSD.org mailing list, got a reply by the list
> moderator rejecting my message,stating that there is no valid message
> from that address,sugesting yet another email address, it doubts the
> authenticity of your recomendation

No, Remko was correct.  However, freebsd-security is moderated, and only
subscribers may post there.

> Remko, you sugested I should look into securing my emailserver
> installation by preventing unauthorized access.  you are of the
> opinion that ICMP PING is not the cause of spam mailrelaying.  could I
> ask you if my Apple mac is any risk due to the PING portal being open?
> if so would you advice me on what to do?

I don't know what you mean by "PING portal", but no, ICMP echo request /
reply messages can not normally be used to relay spam.

In any case, your question has nothing to do with FreeBSD.  If you
suspect a security problem with your Mac, I suggest you contact Apple or
a Mac users forum.

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no