Permission denied by op

Bigby Findrake bigby at ephemeron.org
Fri Jan 19 23:13:02 UTC 2007

On Sat, 13 Jan 2007, Randy Bush wrote:

>> i am invoking op from a python proggy which does an op.system() of
>>    op chmod 640 /usr/local/etc/tac_plus.conf
>> i get "Permission denied by op"
>
> btw, have tested with same invocation directly from /bin/sh.  same
> result.  i.e. it is not the python environment.
>
>> % ls -l /usr/local/etc/op.access
>> -r--------  1 root  wheel  149 Jan 13 07:41 /usr/local/etc/op.access
>>
>> % cat /usr/local/etc/op.access
>> # 2007.01.13
>> #
>> #DEFAULT users=src
>> #
>> chown   /usr/sbin/chown $* ; users=src
>> chmod   /bin/chmod $* ; users=src
>> rsync   /usr/local/bin/rsync $* ; users=src
>> #
>>
>> % id
>> uid=1007(src) gid=1006(srctree) groups=1006(srctree)
>>
>> clue bat, please

Let me recap, and you correct me when I'm wrong:

* you're running as UID 1007.
* the file is owned by root.
* you're trying to chmod it and it's failing.

Is that the situation so far?

--
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's
character, give him power.

finger://bigby@home.ephemeron.org
http://www.ephemeron.org/~bigby/
irc://irc.ephemeron.org/#the_pub