Support for 5.x (Was: Re: What about BIND 9.3.4 in FreeBSD in base system ?)

Julian H. Stacey jhs at flat.berklix.net
Tue Feb 6 15:08:30 UTC 2007

Remko Lodder wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 01:21:44PM +0000, Chris wrote:
> > On 03/02/07, Julian H. Stacey <jhs at flat.berklix.net> wrote:
> > think you hit the nail bang on the head, I am one such person who
> > tried to submit a bug causing crashes and have found a lack of
> > enthusiasm to get the bug fixed.  One thing I have noticed about 6.x
> > is there is many features that 5.x doesnt have, so it looks clear
> > there is lots of activity in working on new code but little activity
> > in fixing bugs and working on stability.
>
> Hello,
>
> I feel poked by this, and it saddens me that this is the reply we
> get.

No criticism intended of the folk who sacrifice their free time
dealing with other people's bug reports & diffs, it's very kind of
them to do it :-) I guess lots of us paused a moment to admire the
courage of the last bug-a-thon assault team (a weekend about a month
back I recall).

I just suggest the oldest bug reports (most boring/ intractable/
tedious, unappealing to unpaid volunteers) could be worked by
paid/sponsored help, if there's every any money or sponsored hours
available, leaving the newer bugs to interest the unpaid volunteers.

--
Julian Stacey.  BSD Unix C Net Consultancy, Munich/Muenchen  http://berklix.com
Mail Ascii, not HTML.		Ihr Rauch = mein allergischer Kopfschmerz.