What about BIND 9.3.4 in FreeBSD in base system ?

Chris Marlatt cmarlatt at rxsec.com
Fri Feb 2 22:05:15 UTC 2007

Doug Barton wrote:
> up to create a recursive resolver that only listens on 127.0.0.1. I
> would expect that users who rely on BIND in a production setting to
> either have upgraded to FreeBSD 6-stable, be using the port, or some
> other custom configuration, or both.
>
> Doug

Again, why would you expect someone to have already upgraded when they
have more than a year of advertised support left on a production release?

I personally have very few 5.x systems left, primarily because I've been
trying to heed the warnings, but seeing how 5 series is being fast
tracked into retirement makes me extremely suspicious of what is to
happen to 6 series when 7 is released and considered production. I'm
sure many other people wonder the same thing and look at the lengthy
support for 4 series which lasted 7,... 8 years and have come to expect
something similar for future releases. Whereas I'm certainly not going
to say progress is evil I will admit that the FreeBSD I see today is not
the same one from yesteryear.

Now, I can clearly understand and appreciate the burden that, as of
yesterday, 3 active versions can impose on the development team but why
pass part of that burden onto a user base that's done nothing but
embraced the products produced by its efforts?

	Chris