[fbsd] HEADS UP: FreeBSD 5.3, 5.4, 6.0 EoLs coming soon

Dmitry Pryanishnikov dmitry at atlantis.dp.ua
Wed Oct 11 05:29:54 PDT 2006

Hello!

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006, Jeremie Le Hen wrote:
> Though I admit RELENG_4 is getting dusty, it is not rusty.  I believe it
> is still used in many places because of its stability and performance.
>
> For instance, according to Julian Elischer's posts, it seems he is still
> working on it.
>
> Is it envisageable to extend the RELENG_4's and RELENG_4_11's EoL once
> more ?

   Yes, I'm also voting for it. This support may be limited to
remote-exploitable vulnerabilities only, but I'm sure there are many old
slow routers for which RELENG_4 -> 6 transition still hurts the performance.
RELENG_4 is the last stable pre-SMPng branch, and (see my spring letters,
Subject: RELENG_4 -> 5 -> 6: significant performance regression)
_very_ significant UP performance loss (which has occured in RELENG_4 -> 5
transition) still isn't reclaimed. So I think it would be wise to extend
{ RELENG_4 / RELENG_4_11 / both } [may be limited] support.

Sincerely, Dmitry
--
Atlantis ISP, System Administrator
e-mail:  dmitry at atlantis.dp.ua