FreeBSD Security Survey

Yann Golanski yann at kierun.org
Thu May 25 08:28:27 UTC 2006

Quoth Garance A Drosihn on Wed, May 24, 2006 at 15:40:23 -0400
> >> The answer is: build host + jails for a testing environment...
> >> This'll reduce your actual downtime.
> >Did you just tell him to get another computer for each arch
> >to have as a build machine???
> >
> >Being a broke college student I don't think that's something
> >I'd ever do to install updates on my boxes. I can't afford
> >another computer just to build updates when every other OS
> >I use does updates in another way....
>
> If you are a college student with a few machines that
> you work with, then you can afford some downtime.

Why?  Just because I am from a mathematics department with no money for
hardware at all does not mean that our VLE does not have to run all the
time.

So, same question with three machines: home, office and off shore
server.  How do I keep them all up to date without having to run the
patches three times?...

BTW, I consider pre-compiled packages to good (easy to install, etc...)
and bad (no fine tuning, etc...) while compile are good for exactly the
opposite reasons.  Not sure which is best.

--
yann at kierun.org                  -=*=-                      www.kierun.org
    PGP:   009D 7287 C4A7 FD4F 1680  06E4 F751 7006 9DE2 6318