FreeBSD Security Survey

Ion-Mihai IOnut Tetcu itetcu at FreeBSD.org
Mon May 22 10:34:31 UTC 2006

On Mon, 22 May 2006 11:40:16 +0200
Marian Hettwer <MH at kernel32.de> wrote:

> > ports tree in the process, the end result is a bit more undefined.  One
> > thing that I wish for is that the ports tree would branch for releases,
> > and that those branches would get security updates.  I know that this
> > would involve an exponentially larger amount of effort from the ports
> > team, and I don't fault them for not doing it.  Still, it would be nice
> > to have.
>
> I have to agree on that statement. I would love to see branched ports.
> This can get very important on servers, were you don't want to have
> major upgrades, but only security updates.
> I guess it's a question of manpower, hm?

With the maintainers/commiters/physical_resources we have now this is
impossible.
Take a look at pav@'s PR stats page: http://www.oook.cz/bsd/prstats/
There are ~1000 new ports PRs per month. The PT Team has managed to
close about the same number per month (fewer during the freeze, of
course).
Currently there are 551 open PRs. 238 in feedback state, etc.

> Would a survey help? As in ask the ports team and FreeBSD
> administrators? Maybe some will start to become port maintainer too,
> just to support the increased work on ports due to branching them...
> I would :)

There are ~4300 unmaintained ports. Maybe you could start maintaining
some of them _now_ ?

BOFH excuse #146:
Communications satellite used by the military for star wars