memory pages nulling when releasing

Jason Evans jasone at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jun 20 19:44:44 UTC 2006

Dan Lukes wrote:

>> The man page looks accurate to me.  What aspect of the descriptions of
>> 'J' and 'Z' do you think is incorrect?
>
>     From manual page:
>  =======================
> J       ...
>     This options also sets the ``R'' option.
> Z       This option implicitly sets the ``J'' and ``R'' options,
>  =======================
>
>     From libc/stdlib/malloc.c (the lines containing malloc_realloc +
> some lines around)
>  =======================
> static int malloc_realloc;
>         case 'r': malloc_realloc = 0; break;
>         case 'R': malloc_realloc = 1; break;
>         case 'j': malloc_junk    = 0; break;
>         if (!malloc_realloc &&             /* Unless we have to, */
>       size <= osize &&             /* .. or are too small, ...
>     if (!malloc_realloc &&        /* Unless we have to, */
>       size <= osize &&         /* ..or are too small, */
>  =======================
>
>     The  malloc_realloc seems to be set on one place only - when R/r
> present. Then it is used only. I see no dependency to J nor Z
>
>     I send no PR because I have submitted several more important PR's
> which are untouched for months. I don't want to overload committers nor
> PR database.

Ah, this is for RELENG_6.  I had assumed you were talking about
-current.  I agree with you that the man page is inaccurate for
RELENG_6.  I don't currently use RELENG_6 for development though, so I'd
recommend submitting a PR with a patch assigned to the docs folks if you
want it fixed.  In my experience they are very responsive where man page
accuracy is concerned.

Jason