memory pages nulling when releasing

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Sun Jun 18 12:52:24 UTC 2006

Nick Borisov wrote:
> Could you tell me if FreeBSD supports memory page nulling when
> releasing it to prevent unauthorized access to data left in the page
> after it's allocated again.

Yes, FreeBSD has a mechanism for "zero-filling" used pages before they are
allocated to another process, although this is normally deferred for a while
to promote reuse of the page if the original process needs to use it again.

> If it does, what sys calls etc provide that?
> IMHO this is an important issue when operating data with different
> sensivity levels.

You can set some malloc() tunables to control some of this, although if you
are trying to do secure programming of sensitive data, look towards mlock() to
keep the data resident and unpageable to keep it out of the VM system and
potentially the swapfile.

Look at the source for GnuPG, for example, or OPIE...

--
-Chuck