Any ongoing effort to port /etc/rc.d/pf_boot, /etc/pf.boot.conf from NetBSD ?

Ari Suutari ari at suutari.iki.fi
Mon Jul 17 18:59:20 UTC 2006

Hi,
Simon L. Nielsen wrote:
> Since nobody else seems to have actually done this, I took a look at
> FreeBSD's rcorder (on my -CURRENT laptop) and actually I don't really
> see a hole.  Most importantly pf is enabled before routing.

	I did this yesterday, but this thread has gotten quite active
	so maybe you lost the results. But my findings were same as
	yours: pf is enabled before routing which means that the
	hole I was afraid of doesn't exist.

> Personally I would still like a default to deny knob, but that's
> mainly to handle the case of an invalid ruleset which causes pf to be
> left open.  Yes, this is only a problem when the admin screws up, but
> it happens...

	Yes, and it might be quite common: some edits ruleset but
	leaves it unfinished because other, more high-priority
	jobs arrive (from boss...) and the someone other accidentally
	reboots your firewall... Default deny (or rc.d/pf_boot) would
	help here.

		Ari S.