Integrity checking NANOBSD images

R. B. Riddick arne_woerner at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 11 21:08:56 UTC 2006

--- Mike Tancsa <mike at sentex.net> wrote:
> >But what if the trojan copies its files to the RAM disc and waits for this
> >sha256 binary showing up? And then, when it is there, it removes its
> >changes on
> >the hard disc  (those changes certainly must be in unused (formerly zeroed)
> >areas of the hard disc or in the (zeroed) end of certain shell
> >scripts... Or do
> >I miss something?
>
> Yes, sounds possible.  Between checks, "undo" the trojan.  However,
> the binary would have to live somewhere on the flash or it would not
> survive reboots and you would have to tinker with the bootup process
> to load the trojan at boot time.

Yes, that is what I mean with "unused" areas... I think many scripts in
/etc/rc.d have some space in their end, that is zeroed and unused... So you
just have to record their original size... Then u add some trojan software
stuff in some start shell script function and u r done (of course those changes
must be made, after the check sum procedure is over...; and must be undone
before every check sum procedure)...

Maybe we should try to make the box physically safer... By an sabotage
detection unit... Infrared scanner or ultra-sound movement scanner or so...

-Arne