Encrypted volume - how?

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Sun Jan 22 14:40:04 PST 2006

Hi all,
I'm looking for a way to recreate the functionality of PGP Disk (under
Win32). Basically, create an encrypted file, which contains a filesystem
which can then be mounted in any mount point.

I know I can use GELI in FreeBSD 6 - as I understand, it performs the
encryption at the partition level (the whole partition is encrypted).
I'd like to be able to simply unmount my 'secure volume', and be able to
back it up as a whole, or move it to another computer without having to
repartition the destination. I think GELI wouldn't be good for this.

I think I've read somewhere that you could use openssl to generate an
encrypted volume and then mount it. I searched for a while and can't
find any reference to this. Does anyone know how to do this with
openssl, OR any other tool ?

thanks in advance,
Beto