Crypto hw acceleration for openssl

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Sun Apr 23 19:16:25 UTC 2006

Winston Tsai <wtsai at hifn.com> wrote:
 > I got roughly the same performance results when I use the openssl speed
 > test with and without a hifn 7956 cryto card
 > [...]
 > Then I ran:
 > Openssl speed des-cbc
 > [...]
 > My understanding is that openssl will detect the presence of an
 > accelerator card and use it (via \dev\crypto) instead of the crypto
 > library.
 > Did I miss something here?

I don't know if the openssl speed test picks up the crypto-
dev hardware automatically.  But ssh/scp definitely does.

I have run several tests on my VIA C3 Nehemiah+RNG+ACE,
which accelerates AES encryption.  When the padlock(4)
module is loaded (it contains the Nehemiah ACE support),
ssh/scp performance is roughly doubled.  It's quite
noticeable when transfering large files.

Best regards
   Oliver

PS:  I can provide some benchmark numbers if interested.

"The scanf() function is a large and complex beast that often does
something almost but not quite entirely unlike what you desired."
        -- Chris Torek