Is it feasible to cross-build compat5x binary?

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Tue Oct 25 22:24:23 PDT 2005

In message: <20051025170934.GA29561 at xor.obsecurity.org>
            Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org> writes:
: On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 02:47:57AM +0200, Jeremie Le Hen wrote:
: > Hi Peter and others,
: >
: > > At some stage, we need to validate our cross-build chain with cmp(1).
: > > We can probably leverage off the work that NetBSD has done in this
: > > area.  This would significantly simplify the work involved in supporting
: > > the various architectures.
: >
: > in case you know enough about NetBSD's build.sh, can you say if FreeBSD's
: > build architecture is powerful enough to merely use it with a few s///
: > or does it still lack one or more things ?
:
: I expect it's pretty different.  ru@ did a lot of work on
: cross-building FreeBSD though, and he had a fairly detailed list
: of known differences between cross-built and native builds.  I'm not
: sure if he reduced it to 0 length.

NetBSD build.sh runs great on FreeBSD, when building NetBSD sources
that is :-).

I know that cross builds for i386 from amd64 work well enough.
However, we[*] was unable to get a full cross build for i386 world
seutp on my amd64 machine when last I tried.

Warner

[*] tried to setup a dual amd64 box as our build server for our
embedded FreeBSD/i386 product.  It was quite a bit more complicated
than just a normal cross build, but there were many issues that our
(both FreeBSD and our company's) build system paper over for a few
edge cases that seem to not matter...