Need urgent help regarding security

Marian Hettwer MH at kernel32.de
Mon Nov 21 05:16:57 PST 2005

Hej Ray,

ray at redshift.com wrote:

> The point isn't to get more secure.  You are correct by saying that moving the
Hu. I thought the point was to get more security. If it's more about
"stealth", okay, move the daemon to another port :)

> port # doesn't make anything more secure.  But why make it easy for someone that
> might be doing a scan to find your SSH prompt during a scan that may be focused
> on ports 21, 22, 25, 80 and 110?

Of course it's a bit harder to find your sshd, if it's not running on
tcp/22. And maybe, an automated script won't find the sshd. A human
being will, indeed, find the sshd pretty quick. Take any port which
responds with an SYN-ACK to your SYN and of you go on that port with
telnet...

> Along these same lines, we used to even re-compile sshd and remove the welcome
> message/version number in the connect.  I know there are two schools of thought
> on broadcasting your version numbers on connections, but in the mid 90's, we did
> do that from time to time.

And if you don't get the ssh banner, it might get harder now :-)

> Anyway, to each their own :)

ack.

Marian