What happened with portaudit?

Simon L. Nielsen simon at FreeBSD.org
Sun Nov 6 14:09:44 PST 2005

On 2005.11.06 21:48:52 +0100, Jimmy Scott wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 06, 2005 at 05:30:00PM +0100, Kövesdán Gábor wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > One of my machines I got a report about 3 vulnerable packages (php4,
> > ruby, openssl) in tomorrows security run output, but in today's security
> > run output all of them disappeared, but nobody upgraded or removed the
> > affected packages. I reinstalled portaudit, refreshd its database, but
> > now it reports 0 affected pakages. The pkg_info command lists that three
> > packages, so they are still installed. Does anybody suspect what's wrong?
>
> I noticed the same, but didn't had the time to look for a possible
> answer on that question.

It does seem to work for me now.  Could people having this problem
please check the size of /var/db/portaudit/auditfile.tbz and try to
run portaudit -Fa to refetch the database and check again?

For reference:

[simon at zaphod:/tmp] ls -l /var/db/portaudit/auditfile.tbz
-r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  31762  6 Nov 22:40 /var/db/portaudit/auditfile.tbz

There have been one previous report where a problem with the portaudit
database build resulted in an incomplete auditfile which was then
fixed after the next portaudit database rebuild.

--
Simon L. Nielsen
FreeBSD Security Team