TCP timestamp vulnerability

Jacques Vidrine nectar at FreeBSD.org
Mon May 23 16:28:04 GMT 2005

On May 19, 2005, at 5:53 AM, Christian Brueffer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> fixes for the vulnerability described in http://www.kb.cert.org/
> vuls/id/637934
> were checked in to CURRENT and RELENG_5 by ps in April.
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/netinet/tcp_input.c
>
> Revisions 1.270 and 1.252.2.16
>
> He didn't commit it to RELENG_5_4 for some reason, so 5.4 shipped with
> it.
>
> My guess is that he didn't notify you guys either.
>
> I stumbled upon this through a Heise News article at
> http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/59672.  Sent them an update
> about
> the fixed branches, but they'd like to know why this wasn't
> communicated
> back to US-CERT yadda yadda yadda.

Thanks, Christian.  No, ps@ didn't point it out.  It gets a little
confusing too, since I see that the work was submitted by multiple
folks, one of which reported another related vulnerability to us on
May 18 (7 days after that commit).   Now to try to untangle what is
what ...
--
Jacques A Vidrine / NTT/Verio
nectar at celabo.org / jvidrine at verio.net / nectar at freebsd.org