different ways to disable https in apache...

Joe Schmoe non_secure at yahoo.com
Fri May 13 08:54:55 PDT 2005

Hello,

I built apache+openssl+mod_ssl.  It is working fine,
and I have been starting the server with:

apachectl startssl

Recently, however, I have decided that I will not be
doing anything over https (for a while, at least) with
this web server, so for security reasons, I want to
only run on port 80.

So now I start the server with:

apachectl start

And it runs without SSL.  My question is, is starting
the SSl enabled apache like this, and running it
without SSL exactly the same security-wise as running
a copy of apache without SSL at all ?  That is, SSL
libraries, etc., can have vulnerabilities in them, and
am I still vulnerable to those problems even if I am
running only on port 80 ?

What kinds of attacks might I _not_ be insulating
myself against by simply not running SSL, vs.
reinstalling without it ?

thanks,