New entropy source proposal.

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Mon Mar 7 20:58:41 GMT 2005

On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 04:09:48PM +0000, Mark Murray wrote:
+> Pawel Jakub Dawidek writes:
+> > The program is very simple, it should be run with two arguments:
+> >
+> > 	% sndtest /dev/dspW 1048576 > rand.data
+> >
+> > This command will generate 1MB of random data.
+>
+> Er, not very random.

Are you sure you used /dev/dspW? It give me really good results with my
sound card.

You can find sample data at:

	http://people.freebsd.org/~pjd/misc/rand.data

+> > If people like the idea and someone more skilled than me in this subject
+> > can review this stuff, we can start to put it into kernel
+> > "random infrastructure". It could also be implemented as userland daemon
+> > which writes collected entropy to /dev/random maybe...
+>
+> I like the idea, but we need a bit more hardware assistance, I think.

Of course I don't think it could be used as the only entropy source in
the system, more like one of few.