Renaming root account

Craig Edwards brain at winbot.co.uk
Thu Mar 3 08:53:47 GMT 2005

Thanks Ed,

My system already has securelevel 2 set and immutable flags on most of
its core system files in /sbin and /bin, etc. Basically i am aware of
the fact that other systems (for example windows) let you change the
administrative user's username to enhance security that little bit more.
Security through obscurity on its own is not a good method of securing a
network but when combined with other systems, it can be an advantage.

Currently i also utilize samhain and make regular (nightly) backups to a
windows machine behind a second router (which is a security aspect many
people will overlook!). I run nightly virus scans from my /etc/periodic
and update the signatures automatically, as i have lost a redhat linux
machine before due to a cracker dropping the RST.b trojan/virus onto it,
and this would locate such a problem and allow me to reformat the
machine faster. The machine is being used as my internet gateway for my
small network and also as a collaberative centre for a group of users
who work on my programming projects. These users are trusted of course
but the more users you add to a system the more chance there is of it
being compromised as there is more to keep track of and more to audit,
so the more layers of security you can use, the better.

Thanks for your time,
Craig