OSX Intrusion Suspected, Advice Sought

Roger Marquis marquis at roble.com
Sat Jan 8 08:31:18 PST 2005

JohnG <mcsjgs at cox.net> wrote:
> I run OS X 10.3.7 on a PowerMac MDD G4 on a cable broadband connection.
> I have reason to think my system has been tampered with. Security
> features in Mac OS X have been left unlocked (Preference Pane - Users)

OSX is substantially different from FreeBSD (even without netinfo)
despite having some of the same source code.  I doubt you'll find
much OSX expertise among freebsd-security subscribers even if it
wasn't OT.

Assuming there is no osx-security list or newsgroup your best bet
would be to contact Apple directly.  However, given Apple's
difficulties issuing patches and all the insecure, desktop-oriented
changes made to OSX's older FreeBSD base, it's a losing battle
(IME).

--
Roger Marquis
Roble Systems Consulting