need ipfw clarification

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Fri Feb 4 12:09:41 PST 2005

Duane Winner <dwinner-lists at att.net> wrote:

> Thanks Roberto,
>
> Just to make sure I understand though, I only need to be concerned
> "forwarding" and "forward rules" if I'm setting up a multi-homed host
> (i.e., router), is this correct?

It doesn't even apply then.  IPFW forwarding forwards packets and rewrites
their IP headers to make one machine look like another.  While this is
commonly used on firewalls, it's not the same thing as turning on
forwarding (i.e. routing between interfaces) and isn't required to set
up a multi-homed "router".

For example, I use IPFW forwarding so that my firewall forwards VNC
packets to my desktop, so outsiders can connect directly to my desktop
through the firewall.

> If I'm just using ipfw for  single-host based firewall protection, then
> forwarding doesn't apply, right?

That's correct.