need ipfw clarification

Roberto Nunnari roberto.nunnari at supsi.ch
Thu Feb 3 12:02:40 PST 2005

Hi Duane.

I had the same problem.. With 5.2.1 I had working forward rules
and that were broke with 5.3

after some fiddling I managed to have that work again.. just
add them to your kernel:

options         IPFIREWALL
options         IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT
options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
options         IPFIREWALL_FORWARD

if you don't add them to your kernel, forwarding in ipfw will
be disabled.

Ciao.

Duane Winner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I noticed that after enabling firewall in my kernel (5.3-release), my
> dmesg now gives me this:
>
> ipfw2 initialized, divert disabled, rule-based forwarding disabled,
> default to accept, logging limited to 5 packets/entry by default
>

> On 5.2.1, I used to get this:
>
> ipfw2 initialized, divert disabled, rule-based forwarding enabled,
> default to accept, logging disabled
>
> If both cases, I am adding this to my KERNEL config:
>
> options         IPFIREWALL
> options         IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT
>

> It seems that the major difference between 5.2.1 and 5.3 is that now
> rule-based forwarding is disabled.
>
> Is this correct? And what exactly is rule-based forwarding? I'm guessing
> that it doesn't really apply to my situation, as in these cases, I am
> using IPFW to create a deny all inbound to my laptop when I'm on the
> road. But I just want to make sure.
>
> Thanks,
> DW

               Roberto Nunnari -software engineer-
                mailto:roberto.nunnari at supsi.ch
  Scuola Universitaria Professionale della Svizzera Italiana
              Dipartimento Tecnologie Innovative
                   http://www.dti.supsi.ch
  SUPSI-DTI
  Via Cantonale                        tel: +41-91-6108561
  6928 Manno                 """       fax: +41-91-6108570
  Switzerland               (o o)