need ipfw clarification

Duane Winner dwinner-lists at att.net
Thu Feb 3 11:49:18 PST 2005

Hello,

I noticed that after enabling firewall in my kernel (5.3-release), my
dmesg now gives me this:

ipfw2 initialized, divert disabled, rule-based forwarding disabled,
default to accept, logging limited to 5 packets/entry by default

On 5.2.1, I used to get this:

ipfw2 initialized, divert disabled, rule-based forwarding enabled,
default to accept, logging disabled

If both cases, I am adding this to my KERNEL config:

options         IPFIREWALL
options         IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT

It seems that the major difference between 5.2.1 and 5.3 is that now
rule-based forwarding is disabled.

Is this correct? And what exactly is rule-based forwarding? I'm guessing
that it doesn't really apply to my situation, as in these cases, I am
using IPFW to create a deny all inbound to my laptop when I'm on the
road. But I just want to make sure.

Thanks,
DW