Brute Force Detection + Advanced Firewall Policy

Arne Woerner arne_woerner at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 19 13:03:31 PST 2005

--- Hadi Maleki <freebsdlist at nimahost.net> wrote:
> Any BFD/AFP softwares available for FreeBSD 4.10?
>
> Im getting flooded with ssh and ftp attempts.

What about a "white list"? I mean, three rules that blocks all
incoming traffic to those ports (21, 22, the others), and then a
rule for each "good IP" that allows the connection...

Some time ago I have read in this list something about attempts to
guess a SSH username and password... Maybe u can find that thread
in the archive via the Websearch interface?

Maybe it helps to disallow password athentication, because DSA
public key authentication is much more fun for users and admins...
:-))

-Arne