Arcoread7 secutiry vulnerability

Simon L. Nielsen simon at FreeBSD.org
Sun Aug 28 11:13:21 GMT 2005

On 2005.08.28 14:56:11 +0400, Boris Samorodov wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 10:14:21 +0930 Ian Moore wrote:
>
> > I've just updated my acroread port to 7.0.1 & was surprised when portaudit
> > still listed it as a vulnerability.

It is, at least based on the information we (Security Team) have.

> I think it is portaudit problem.
>
> > According to  http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/85093, the
> > upgrade to 7.0.1 is suppoed to fix the problem, but according to
> > http://www.freebsd.org/ports/portaudit/02bc9b7c-e019-11d9-a8bd-000cf18bbe54.html
> > and Adobe's web site at http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/331710.html,
> > the problem exists in 7.0.1 as well, but is fixed in 7.0.2.
>
> > I'm just wondering who is right here, or am I missing something?
>
> It looks like you missed the platfom to pay attention to. For Linux
> and Solaris "users should upgrade to Adobe Reader 7.0.1"...

You are mixing up two different vulnerabilities [1]. The vulnerability
fixed by the 7.0.1 upgrade was "acroread -- plug-in buffer overflow
vulnerability" [2].  The vulnerability portaudit is warning you about
is "acroread -- XML External Entity vulnerability" [3].  As far as I
know Adobe has not released any fix for the Linux version of Adobe
Reader for [3].

[1] http://www.vuxml.org/freebsd/pkg-acroread7.html
[2] http://www.vuxml.org/freebsd/f74dc01b-0e83-11da-bc08-0001020eed82.html
[3] http://www.vuxml.org/freebsd/02bc9b7c-e019-11d9-a8bd-000cf18bbe54.html