newbie with www user security problem

Ken Hawkins ken at rosewoodblues.com
Thu Aug 11 15:32:54 GMT 2005

The box is secure that much i have found out. the only problems have
been with this email spamming. nothing in the tmp dirs out of the
ordinary and no missing files running scripts etc. I have changed
everyone passwords on the box. *'d the www password, ensured there is
no shell with the www user, etc.

i am in the process of upgrading the ports now and there are problems
(of course). the ports seem to have been mangled as the listing in /
var/db/ports does not match what i KNOW is running on the box. The
person i have inherited this from manually deleted from the /var/db/
ports to get some of the applications to re-install! gotta love that!

well here i come port fix hell! This is a production box and can't be
taken off line as of this moment so i am going to have to attempt on
the fly fixing / upgrading of the ports.  i would love to wipe it but
it is just not a possibility right now.

thanks for all your help and insight. even those of you who tried to
tell me I was lost... :)

ken;
Ken Hawkins
Product Manager/Software Development