IPFW disconnections and resets

Andrew McNaughton andrew at scoop.co.nz
Fri Apr 29 05:22:41 PDT 2005

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005, Neo-Vortex wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Apr 2005, Siddhartha Jain wrote:
>
>> Even if I run this script as it is (without running from within another
>> script and redirecting), I don't get disconnected.
>
> hehe, probobly different shells or something (i use tcsh) - or mabe luck
> :) but without it i get disconnected like 99.9% of times (although because
> of the first rule after flush, only like 1% of the time do i get locked
> out :P)

1% is way too much.  use nohup.  eg:

     nohup sh /etc/rc.firewall simple &

You can wrap that in a script if you think it's necessary.

Other common advice is to run the firewall script while in a 'screen'
environment.  See ports for screen.

Andrew McNaughton

--

There is no way to happiness
Happiness is the way

Andrew McNaughton           http://www.scoop.co.nz/
andrew at scoop.co.nz          Mobile: +61 422 753 792

--
pgp encrypted mail welcome
keyid: 70F6C32D      keyserver: pgp.mit.edu