Will 5.4 be an "Extended Life" release?

Clifton Royston cliftonr at lava.net
Tue Apr 12 14:33:31 PDT 2005

  In the next month or two I've got to upgrade a number of servers that
are currently on an EOL'd version of 4-STABLE.  I foresee that I'll
have very limited time to do full OS upgrades on these systems in the
coming several years, so I want to make sure I bring them onto an
extended-life branch.

  Right now 4.11 has the furthest projected EOL date (Jan 31 2007), and
the projected EOL for 5.3 is several months sooner (Oct 31 2006)
according to <http://www.freebsd.org/security/index.html>

  If 5.4 is expected to be an extended-life branch, I would consider
moving them up to 5.4 instead, to get a leap on current technology.
Has that decision been made yet?

  -- Clifton

          Clifton Royston  --  cliftonr at tikitechnologies.com
         Tiki Technologies Lead Programmer/Software Architect
"I'm gonna tell my son to grow up pretty as the grass is green
And whip-smart as the English Channel's wide..."
                                            -- 'Whip-Smart', Liz Phair