Kerberos 5 Security Alert?

Jeff Aitken jaitken at aitken.com
Mon Sep 13 15:35:44 PDT 2004

On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 03:07:36PM -0700, Daniel Rudy wrote:
> Does FreeBSD use the MIT implementation?

No, the system-supplied krb5 bits are from the Heimdal distribution.
The MIT distribution is available as a port, but is not part of the
base system.

> Why wasn't there a FreeBSD security alert for Kerberos 5?

I may be wrong, but I think that security alerts are issued only
for the base system (i.e., things that are part of FreeBSD proper).
Vulnerabilities that affect ports are documented here:

    http://www.vuxml.org/freebsd/

I'm sure someone will correct me if this is wrong.

--Jeff