FreeBSD source auto patcher script

Michael Vince michael at roq.com
Wed Mar 3 20:27:32 PST 2004

Hi all
I thought I would let you people know of a script that I coded that
facilitates security patch updating on FreeBSD. When I wrote it I
decided to called it Quickpatch for some reason even though because its
source based its not necessarily the least bit quick at all :) I had
kept it for my self for a while but I was recently provoked to release
it as it could do greater good being out there on the net, because its
in Perl its quite hackable for custom needs.

http://www.roq.com/projects/quickpatch/

It has the ability to do a range of different update tasks. These
features include the ability to easily verify (using PGP) any and all
advisories, easy setup and use of CVSUP for source and ports tree
updates. Ability to extract all the useful data out of the official
FreeBSD security advisories, such as necessary patch commands, security
advisory topic, exact hours since the patch was made/released, then can
create ready to run patch files or display/email a full report of that
information. Also, it can optionally apply the patch files with no
attendance. Because its highly cronable you can schedule in a 'patch
mode' kernel recompile and reboot at early morning hours to minimize
down time inconvenience to others.