4.x, PAM, password facility

Charles Sprickman spork at inch.com
Fri Jun 18 13:27:02 PDT 2004

Hi,

I've been playing around with pam_mysql, and have it working for
interactive logins (backed by /etc/passwd entries for uid/gid w/*'d
password field) and it works well so far.

Looking at the source to the module, it does support password changing.
So I put in the following entry in pam.conf:

sshd    password required       pam_mysql.so user=root db=pam table=users crypt=1

However, it doesn't seem to hit the module at all for password changes.  I
also noticed the default line is like so:

sshd   password required       pam_permit.so

I would have expected a "pam_unix.so" there instead.  Is the password
facility implemented in 4.x?

And since I know there's someone lurking here that knows this, is there
any way to have OpenSSH deny a login when a user has key-based auth setup
on their account?  I never found a good way to take care of that; changing
the shell, etc. is a bit awkward.

Thanks,

Charles

--