nmap not scanning networks?

Alex Povolotsky tarkhil at webmail.sub.ru
Wed Jun 16 18:05:45 GMT 2004

Hello!

Attempt to scan a network with any method except plain ping results in an error:

truss nmap -sT -p 21 '172.19.17.*'
[...]
sendto(0x4,0x8094200,0,0x0,{ AF_INET 172.19.17.0:0 },0x10) ERR#49 'Can't assign
requested address'
[...]

What's strange that man on send(2) doesn't state that EADDRNOTAVAIL can ever be returned from sendto().

Quick look at nmap's site didn't show me any clues. However, I've reproducted the problem under both 5.2.1 and 4.8 releases.

Do I have all my boxes broken, or should I rebuild kernel with some options, or does nmap be known not to work on FreeBSD?

--
Alex.