Hacked or not appendice

Lupe Christoph lupe at lupe-christoph.de
Sat Jun 12 14:08:53 GMT 2004

On Saturday, 2004-06-12 at 13:44:45 +0200, Peter Rosa wrote:

> I must add, there are no log entries after June 9, 2004. "LKM" message first
> apeared June 8, 2004, after this day, there is nothing in /var/messages,
> /var/security .....

Check if your syslog deamon is running. Also try to log something from
the command line with logger.

> How could I look for suspicious LKM module ? How could I find it, if the
> machine is hacked and I can not believe "ls", "find" etc. commands ?

Dunno. I've turned off modules on all my FreeBSD machines. IIRC, the
way to check binaries is to "make buildworld", install somewhere else
and compare. Of course, you should not build on a suspect machine.

Have you turned on securelevel?

HTH,
Lupe Christoph
--
| lupe at lupe-christoph.de       |           http://www.lupe-christoph.de/ |
| "... putting a mail server on the Internet without filtering is like   |