Possible compromise ?

Peter Rosa prosa at pro.sk
Tue Jan 27 12:24:01 PST 2004

OK, sorry for unclear previous message.

In the past, one man teached me the FreeBSD basics and also installed my
gateway. In that time, I was not able to install and setup FreeBSD by
myself. He left there some holes - e.g. open virtual consoles, unset
firewall, etc. As the time went, I learned a lot about Unixes and FreeBSD
and I tried to setup my own firewall, install and setup some programs (with
big help of this and Questions lists, manpages and other books).

When I tried to setup more security on that system, except other things, I
disabled all virtual tty's, because there is no need to connect to this
machine remotelly (it's located 5 steps from my desk). In the past, that man
connected to my system remotely from various IPs.

Now, when I cat /var/log/lastlog, in the very bottom of the file, I can read
some connects from remote machines to ttyp0 and ttyp1. It's impossible for
me to retrieve connection dates from that file. Of course, I read man last,
man wtmp, etc., but there is nothing about /var/log/lastlog file.

May be, that lines was added in the deep past, when the machine was open.
But may be, it was done in few previous days...

I know, if my machine was compromised, it is impossible to believe in
anything on that machine (also kernel, sources). So, are there some other
ways to get information about connection dates?

Peter Rosa