arp problem in /var/log/messages

Jack L. Stone jackstone at sage-one.net
Wed Jan 21 06:59:52 PST 2004

At 05:53 AM 1.21.2004 +0000, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:
>On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Mark wrote:
>
>> But what causes them ? I get them too.
>
>one host, two NICs same braodcast domain ?
>
>--
>Bjoern A. Zeeb				bzeeb at Zabbadoz dot NeT

Also, when NICs are switched around, especially if on a gateway machine. We
just experienced this maddening issue. We moved a HD clone from one GW
machine to another and it took a long time for any of the other machines to
resolve the new NIC MAC and thus peppered with those arp messages. When we
also moved the old NIC over as well, the problems ALL stopped instantly. It
eliminated the need for the arp cache to catch up to the switching of the
MACs which is cached along with the IPs. All of the machines then settled
down. So, now with a CISCO and several switches involved, we now know the
move the HD AND the NIC....

BTW, the Windows machines never did resolve the new NIC MAC after several
hours, but the FBSD's did within about an hour. Lesson learned.

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Administrator

SageOne Net