mtree vs tripwire

Tillman Hodgson tillman at seekingfire.com
Tue Jan 20 15:19:25 PST 2004

On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 08:38:55AM -0500, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> Gregory Neil Shapiro <gshapiro at freebsd.org> writes:
> > I use:
> >
> > mtree -K sha1digest -c -X mtree.exclude -p / > mtree.out
<snip>
> > Although I am sure there is a better way to do it with mtree, to
> > see if something has changed, I repeat the process and diff the
> > output.
>
> That would be
>  mtree < mtree.out
> to have mtree do it itself.

I just now tried this:

[root at athena ~/landmine]# ls -l
total 41746
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel        46 Jan 20 14:58 mtree.exclude
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  42713965 Jan 20 16:19 mtree.out
[root at athena ~/landmine]# mtree < mtree.out
mtree: line 270131: unknown keyword Burg

I'm fairly certain that that's not the intended result ;-)

That line, BTW, is just a file name with a space in it:

                link=/opt/SC3U/buildings/Den Burg Bruges.bld

Am I missing somethign fairly simple?

-T

--
"Getting a SCSI chain working is perfectly simple if you remember that there
must be exactly three terminations: one on one end of the cable, one on the