odd log mesage...looks serious

Bob Ababurko ababurko at adelphia.net
Sat Dec 25 09:39:18 PST 2004

hello all-

and a happy holiday to all you geeks that are in front of the crt!

I found these log messages in my logs and I am not sure what some of
them signify.

Dec 23 19:08:39 smtp kernel: Limiting closed port RST response from 221
to 200 packets/sec
Dec 23 19:08:40 smtp kernel: Limiting closed port RST response from 241
to 200 packets/sec
Dec 24 05:32:34 smtp kernel: fxp0: promiscuous mode enabled
Dec 24 05:32:49 smtp kernel: fxp0: promiscuous mode disabled
Dec 24 05:33:01 smtp kernel: fxp0: promiscuous mode enabled
Dec 24 08:18:44 smtp kernel: fxp0: promiscuous mode disabled
Dec 24 12:48:57 smtp kernel: Limiting closed port RST response from 201
to 200 packets/sec

I understand the "Limiting closed port RST response". ....but what are
the promiscuous mode enabled and disabled on my NIC?  I am not doing
this, so who or what is doing this.  Or better yet, what does this mean?
  I have a fear that this one is serious.  So what I need is some
direction into finding out how this occurs and what I can do to stop it.

thanks,
Bob