Strange command histories in hacked shell history

Dave mudman at metafocus.net
Sat Dec 18 17:33:27 PST 2004

> You could change the permissions on the su binary, so that only users in the wheel group can even
> execute su. that way, when a non-wheel user attempts to su to a user in the wheel group, they simply
> get permission denied.

This is a really good idea.  I decided to try it as root and chmod gave me
chmod: su: Operation Not Permitted!  The nerve!  I'll have to have a look
at that more carefully later :)

As a side note, I think Bill's point about 2 passwords to break is pretty
strong in my point of view.  Just for simplicity's sake (in both security
and in design), "the su stack" really shouldn't be any larger than 1.  No
su'ing twice, or N number of times.  Hmm, I wonder if there is an option
for setting that.  I suppose someone might have a purpose to, but if they
really need to be doing that, I think they have a problem in their own
designs.