need some advice on connections logs

richard childers / kg6hac fscked at pacbell.net
Thu Dec 16 08:27:09 PST 2004

>Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 19:01:59 -0500
>From: Bob Ababurko <ababurko at adelphia.net>
>Subject: need some advice on connections logs
>

>Hello-
>
>What is the best way to deal with getting logs for someone attacking my
>box?  I am not really sure, but I think it may involve tcpdump.  Is
>there any way to implement this so that it can be running before an
>attack happens?.....see the problem is, that I do not have physical
>access to the box and if it is taken down(unaccessible by remote means),
>I cannot log in to start a dump.  What can I do in this case, or what
>are my options, if I want to have the network connections dumped somehow
>with no intervention?....is that a tall order?
>
>Thanks,
>Bob

Bob,

I would recommend that, along with the excellent recommendations for
logging syslogd(8) output to another machine, that you install a
firewall, if this is an option.

Although a firewall may not deter the attacks, it is an excellent
mechanism for collecting forensic data, IE, the details you need to
prosecute the person or persons whom are attacking your system.
Consider, for instance, the massive amount of evidence created, in
replicate, if every one of your servers has a firewall installed, and
someone scans your network; it's difficult for a jury to argue with that
sort of detail.

You can configure the firewall to log every single connection,
separately from accepting or rejecting, so that you can in theory log
successful as well as unsuccessful connections.

And, yes, if you want to log in even greater detail, you could set up a
tcpdump(8) session that ran and collected all network traffic, too, and
just leave it running, or turn it into a crontab entry that restarts it
every hour, and manages each hour of logs, separately.

Naturally, all of this translates into a lot of data, so make sure you
have a few gigabytes of space somewhere, ahead of time, and do some
back-of-the-envelope calculations to see exactly how much you can
accumulate before you need to start deleting logs. For instance, if it
turns out that you have enough room to hold 30 days worth of data, in
worst-case scenarios involving 7x24 denial-of-service attacks intended
to create huge logs, you might want to add another crontab entry
cleaning out all logs over 15 days.

It's a lot of work but when you are done you will be able to rest much
more easily.

Good luck!

Regards,

-- richard

--

Richard Childers / Senior Engineer
Daemonized Networking Services

'A well-schooled electorate, being necessary to the security of
 a free State, the right of the people to keep and read Books,
 shall not be infringed.' -- (Attributed to J. Neil Shulman)