Is my Apache server running as the root user or not?

Clement Laforet sheep.killer at cultdeadsheep.org
Sat Dec 4 03:13:44 PST 2004

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 07:24:27 +0100 (CET)
"Jesper Wallin" <jesper at hackunite.net> wrote:

> Heya..
>
> By reading my /usr/local/etc/apache2/httpd.conf, I can find out that
> my Apache is running as the user "www" and the group "www" .. Yet,
> when I run sockstat, it tells me one of the forks are runned as root
> and listening on port 80 as well as the other forks are runned by
> www:www.. If I got a lot of users connecting to my server on port 80,
> will thier requests ever be answered by the root fork or the www:www
> forks?

Process owned by root is the parent process. It doesn't actually handled
connections, only sets up socket(s) at initialization stage. Children
processes (owned by your User/Group settings) accept new connections and
deal with the requests.
Since you need to be root be able to bind on port 80, parent process is
owned by root.

clem