Report of collision-generation with MD5

Peter C. Lai sirmoo at cowbert.net
Wed Aug 18 10:58:07 PDT 2004

Well while collisions are cryptographically significant, they don't
necessarily impact any operational security of the the hash. (Since the
collision merely means that there are possibly two inputs which will hash to
the same digest). Where this could theoretically mean that someone could
alter a signed message, we have to look at the chance that what was intended
to be altered will satisfy the conditions for the collision. The only 'real'
worry about this issue is that if MD5 is already cryptographically challenged
in this manner, it may be more possible to find a way to reverse the hash.

You can read the discussion here:
http://www.rtfm.com/movabletype/archives/2004_08.html#001053
http://www.rtfm.com/movabletype/archives/2004_03.html#000820