recommended SSL-friendly crypto accelerator

andy at lewman.com andy at lewman.com
Wed Apr 14 20:03:20 PDT 2004

Ok, so what exactly needs to be done to get full hifn support working in
4.x/5.x?

I seem to have lost the original train of thought here.

-Andrew

On Tue, Apr 13, 2004 at 02:19:43PM -0400, mwlucas at blackhelicopters.org wrote 1.5K bytes in 37 lines about:
: On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 05:18:33PM +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
: > In message <20040408144322.GA83448 at bewilderbeast.blackhelicopters.org>, "Michae
: > l W. Lucas" writes:
: > >On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 04:28:37PM +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
: > >> >>Look at VPN14x1 from www.soekris.com, it's darn cheap too.
: > >
: > >Thanks, phk!
: > >
: > >For $79, it's cheap enough that I could put a whole stack of them in a
: > >machine.  Can FreeBSD take advantage of multiple cards like that?
: >
: > I think so, but I am not sure the code currently does load-sharing
: > or just "try to find a card which can do this job" sharing.
: >
: > Maybe sam@ would know, you should probably ask him.
:
: OK, for the record I asked sam at .  He says that the VPN1401 has issues
: for (at a minimum) symmetric crypto ops, but he hasn't had time to
: investigate and doesn't own a 1401, so...
:
: He also says that he considers the Broadcom 582x is the best
: accelerator available, except that it isn't available retail.  :-(
:
: So, it looks like my choices are rapidly narrowing.  It seems that the
: powercrypt cards are well-supported, perhaps I'll give them a call.
:
: ==ml
:
: --
: Michael Lucas		mwlucas at FreeBSD.org, mwlucas at BlackHelicopters.org
:    "I'm sorry, but 'Social Darwinism' is no excuse for killing all of
: 	           your co-workers."  -- Ivan Brunetti
: 		http://www.BlackHelicopters.org/~mwlucas/