unified authentication

Jesse Guardiani jesse at wingnet.net
Wed Sep 24 14:26:06 PDT 2003

Tillman Hodgson wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 03:55:30PM -0400, Jesse Guardiani wrote:
>> Well, I'm currently trying to decide between these then:
>>
>> Kerberos
>> RADIUS
>> LDAP (OpenLDAP only. I don't have a proprietary LDAP solution.)
>> TACACS
>> pam_smb, possibly.
>
> These aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.
>
>> I'm ruling out NIS/NIS+ because:
>> --------------------------------
>> 1.) I'd like something with decent cyptography built in. That's why I
>> conceptually
>>     like Kerberos.
>> 2.) AFAIK, no Cisco support.
>
> NIS (for authorization info) with Kerberos 5 (for authentication)

What's the difference between authorization and authentication?
I thought Kerberos handled authorization by itself.

> provides decent cryptography and wide platform support. Cisco supports
> Kerberos.

Although not very solidly according to other posts on this topic.

>> Once I get authentication working, how do I handle
>> the creation of home directories and basic user
>> files across multiple machines?
>>
>> Do I need to start running NFS, or is there a more
>> elegant solution?
>
> OpenAFS, very elegant solution.

Could you explain why OpenAFS is a more elegant solution than
NFS?

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
WingNET Internet Services,