FBSD All-in-one security box?

twig les twigles at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 5 10:02:02 PST 2003

Hey *, as I sweat through another day of crap dealing with an
all-in-one box (firewall, IDS, AVS, report generating, soon to
be a VPN server) I'm wondering if someone has started a project
to put some freeware together in some semblance of sanity on a
FBSD box.  There's basically nothing that this box does that a
combo of IPFW (or another bsd filter), snort, ntop, and some
other freeware stuff can't do.

As usual the problems I face stem from feature-overload, since
the vendor has one crappy feature and then adds another crappy
feature instead of fixing the first one so they can market the
box better.  I'm thinking that since the tools I mentioned are
already fairly mature and robust, all that's needed is some
sewing and, when core functionality is achieved, a GUI.

This sounds like a fun project IMO, but I don't want to
re-invent the wheel, especially when I have no spare time.

=====