Multiple Firewalls with ipfilter?

Darren Reed avalon at caligula.anu.edu.au
Sun Mar 30 18:40:53 PST 2003

In some mail from Christopher Smith, sie said:

> If I had to make a prediction, I'd say the OpenBSD guys will get there
> first with pf.  If they do, they'll really have a killer app in the
> firewalling market.

Well, in that case, they'd better already have done it, otherwise they
won't be first.  There may be one or two old versions of ipfilter 4.0
code around that doesn't have the files relevant files deleted.

My reluctance in making the code public is rather simple...

(a) if you *really* need redundancy then you're prepared to pay for it;
(b) it would be quite nice if ipfilter could somehow support its author;
(c) i'm generally not all that interested in trying to actively devalue
    the potential of value-add things like this.

As someone who works in software engineering for a "profession", it is
sometimes hard to justify providing software for free that goes beyond
the basic requirements.  Note that if I was in some other industry or
still a student, I might have a different philosophy.  It's bad enough
that we have the spectre of "cheap labour" looming overhead...but I'm
digressing into a political rant on the nature of the industry now.

Cheers,
Darren