what actually uses xdr_mem.c?

D J Hawkey Jr hawkeyd at visi.com
Wed Mar 26 14:38:18 PST 2003

On Mar 26, at 08:10 AM, Jacques A. Vidrine wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 06:10:41AM -0600, D J Hawkey Jr wrote:
> >
> >     find $DIR -type f \
> >         |xargs readelf -a 2>/dev/null \
> >         |awk '/^File:/ { name = $2; printed = 0; } \
> >           /XDR|xdr/ { if (!printed) { print name; printed = 1; } }' \
> >         |xargs ldd 2>/dev/null
> >
> > If it reports a pathed file without listing any shared libraries, then
> > it is statically-linked.
>
> This approach won't work for static binaries (which is what the poster
> was inquiring about).

So someone else has proven to me.

> It also will fail you in this case.  Since (most) affected binaries do
> not call xdrmem_* directly, those names will not appear in the
> binaries' symbol tables.  (Although related names might, which may or
> may not be enough for you to go on.)

As I replied to him, thanks for hitting me with the Clue Stick.

Are my posts _really_ making it to freebsd-security? The archive web
page shows nothing at all for today, majordomo says I'm not subscribed
anymore, yet I'm getting replies from folk I haven't sent to directly.
If not, I suppose I'll have to re-post my replies? Maybe after trying
to re-subscribe?

stumblemumblegrumble
Dave

--