Kerberos to file server

Michael Collette metrol at metrol.net
Wed Jul 30 15:57:24 PDT 2003

Howdy,

I may be approaching this problem entirely wrong, or not.  Was hoping for a
little guidance one way or the other.

I've got this AS/400 with gobs of unused file storage on it that I want to
share across as a file server to a FreeBSD box.  The AS/400 side of things
supports NFS and kinda pretends to be a Unix like machine in this role.

Users will be booting from diskless clients hosted from the FreeBSD box.  The
base directories like /usr and such will come from there.  I want to have
user alterable stuff like /home and shared directories to be hosted over on
the AS/400, as it's got all the space.

My primary problem with this is insuring one login gets you access to both the
FreeBSD box as well as the shares on the AS/400.  I don't want to have users
log into the FreeBSD box then need to again do a login again to the AS/400.

From what I've read thus far it "seems" that configuring Kerberos between the
two is the way to go about this.  The handbook talks about setting up a
remote loging kind of thing, but nothing about how to handle NFS permissions.
I also don't quite get how to automate the process of authenticating and
mounting upon initial login.

Question 1: Am I heading down the right road, or are there other options I
should be considering first?

Question 2: If I'm on the correct path where should I look for some kind of a
tutorial for the mechanics of getting this to happen?

Thanks,
--
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice, there is."